Providing a program of school and out-of school-time academic, cultural, and social support in the elementary grades is an identified strategy for increasing the likelihood that a student will graduate from high school. With this as a long-range goal, we have co-created a partnership of programs which offer tutoring, mentoring, enrichment, and family programs at the Myers-Wilkins School/Neighborhood sites. Known collectively as the Myers-Wilkins Academic and Cultural Enrichment Programs, these programs work integrally with the teachers and staff of the Myers-Wilkins School to offer high-quality learning experiences for 400+ children and their families throughout the school day and out-of-school-time hours. While family donations are always welcome, these programs are offered free of charge.
The mission of the Myers-Wilkins Academic and Cultural Enrichment Programs is to provide opportunities for youth and families to learn and grow in a safe and welcoming environment. Our programs enhance academic, social, and creative skills which will empower our community through finding strength in our diversity.
Goals for 2013-2014
- To help increase school attendance
- To help build academic success
- To help increase family involvement
- To develop cultural appreciation
- To provide opportunities for youth to expand their intellectual, creative, and social skills
- To provide meaningful service-learning opportunities for youth and community members
- To foster a love of Reading, Math, Arts, and Sciences